We have heard the pleas from the American pistol caliber carbine market countless times over the years: “why doesn’t H&K make a semiautomatic MP5 pistol for the civilian market?” Arguably the most iconic submachine gun in history, the H&K MP5 is highly coveted by shooters and collectors alike. However, the majority of authentic 9mm German roller-delayed firearms in the United States are uber-expensive, transferable select fire guns leaving us mere mortals to purchase clones made from parts kits or imports made on older manufacturing equipment. But now, my friends, our prayers have been answered – the HK SP5 is an authentic Heckler & Koch MP5 semiautomatic pistol available to consumers.
Photo credits: Reeves/Ogborn
All the specifications and details can be found below, but we’ll get more detailed information in the days and weeks ahead. For now, check out our own James Reeves and Ryan Ogborn put the HK SP5 through it’s initial paces.
The SP5 was developed by Heckler & Koch as a semiautomatic, civilian sporting pistol that matches the look and feel of the legendary MP5 submachine gun.
Designed and manufactured to meet the definition of a civilian pistol, the SP5 is loaded with authentic features, like a Navy barrel with threaded tri-lug adaptor, paddle magazine release, fluted chamber and chrome-lined bore.
The backbone of the SP5 is the roller-delayed blowback operating system, which is legendary for its accuracy, reliability, and smooth shooting dynamic. Originally perfected on the Heckler & Koch G3 rifle, it has been used on several other HK firearms still serving today around the world.
The SP5 is manufactured in Heckler & Koch’s Oberndorf factory in southwest Germany. It retains many of the critical elements of the MP5, including its precision-machined components and attention to detail. This high level of quality and workmanship is a result of making the SP5 in the same factory, on the same lines, and by the same workforce that has been making MP5s for years.
For more comfortable shooting, the SP5 is equipped with an elastic “bungie” sling. The sling is easily installed by snapping it onto the sling swivel hardware located on the rear of the receiver. Using the sling makes firing the SP5 more stable and reduces fatigue.
HK SP5 Specifications
- Caliber: 9mm x 19
- Operating Principle: Recoil operated
- Locking System: Roller-delayed blowback
- Magazine Capacity: 30/15/10
- Cartridge case ejection: Right side
- Length: 17.8 inches / 452 mm
- Width: 2.48 inches / 63 mm
- Height: 8.66 inches / 220 mm
- Barrel length: 8.86 inches / 225 mm
- Weight (without magazine): 5.1 lb (2500 grams)
- Magazine Weight Empty: 30rd-6.3 oz/180 g, 10rd-3.5 oz/110 g
- Trigger pull: 6.74-10.11 pounds-force / 30-45 N (approximate)
- Return Travel: .12 inches / 3 mm
- Trigger Travel: .24 inches / 6 mm
- Sight Radius: 13 inches / 330 mm
- Barrel Profile/Twist: Groove/land profile, 6 grooves, right-hand twist
- Sights: Rotary rear sights, 4 positions
HK SP5 CONFIGURATIONS AVAILABLE
- SP5 9mm with two 30rd magazines – 81000477 (UPC 642230259829) MSRP $2799
- SP5 9mm with two 10rd magazines – 81000478 (UPC 642230259812) MSRP $2799
- Magazine, SP5, 9mm, 30 rounds – 206349S (UPC 642230254336) MSRP $80
- Magazine, SP5, 9mm, 15 rounds – 215610S (UPC 642230251809) MSRP $80
- Magazine, SP5, 9mm, 10 rounds – 239257S (UPC 642230255210) MSRP $80
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.